Friday 22 January 2010

Chicken and lemon soup

This was originally made by my friend Lisa and was posted online - it was one I made a lot though so I'm posting it verbatim. It's perfect and delicious.

Today has been soup making day. It's been many, many years since I made this traditional Greek soup but today I decided to forgo low carbing and get a taste of home. :)
This is the quick version where the chicken and rice were already cooked but you can make it from scratch.

Chicken Soup with Egg and Lemon (it sounds odd but tastes fab)

1.5 pints good chicken stock (I made my own as I had a chicken carcass but a decent ready made stock will do)
1 cup diced cooked chicken
2 lemons
2 large eggs
Cooked rice.
salt

Right.

Get your stock to simmering point.
Beat the juice of the two lemons with the two eggs until nice and foamy.
Turn the heat off under the stock and let it sit for a minute.
Add a few tablespoons of stock to the egg mixture, beating well.
Add the egg mix into the pan of stock and whisk.
Turn the heat back on but only on LOW and stir until the soup thickens.
Add in as much chicken and rice as you want and heat through.
Serve!

It's lovely and creamy but with a zing from the lemon and not too fatty either.

TIP: Use the juice of only 1 lemon at first and then you can add more if you want a sharper taste.

Originally posted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment