Saturday 18 September 2010

Kick-ass lentil soup

...even if I do say so myself!!

This makes about 6 extremely filling bowlfuls at 3.5 Points per portion.

300g potatoes, peeled and diced small; I used Charlotte potatoes
2 large carrots, peeled and diced small
1 red pepper, diced small
3-4 sticks of celery, sliced small
1 large onion, diced finely
4 rashers of ASDA streaky bacon, finely chopped
4 big fat cloves of garlic, smooshed
1 carton of passata, about 400-500ml
300g red lentils
Anywhere from 3-4 pints of (boiling) water
2 organic Kallo chicken stock cubes
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
generous seasoning with black pepper

All very easy. Saute off the bacon so the fat renders, and then add the celery, onion and garlic until everything is lovely and soft and golden. Pop the rest of the veg in with a lid and let it all sweat and soften. Then it's just in with everything else, stick a lid on and turn down the heat. Alternatively put it all in your slow cooker and leave it overnight; the last batch I made I did on low heat for 8 hours, putting it on as I went to bed and then taking enough for my lunch out as I went off to work.

When it's cooked through you can blend all or some of it for a smoother or chunkier texture. If you blend it all it will need more liquid so it's not just puree :)

No comments:

Post a Comment