Saturday 22 January 2011

Day 23 - The Fastest Chili In The West

Today I spent more or less the whole day with my friend who just lost her father, and then went to see my parents who live nearby. With the husband type safely at work with his tasty packed lunch I was rather bereft when I got home, however there was turkey breast mince defrosted so I made a ginormous bowl of barbecuetastic comfort food. It's not classy but it tasted good.

Today:
Extra Easy, all food free
Turkey breast mince
2 trimmed slices of bacon, all fat removed
Pepper
Courgette
Onion
Garlic
Celery
Canned tomatoes
Small can of refried beans
And then my secret weapon: a sachet of Smoky Barbecue Fajita Seasoning. Muahaha.

Serve it with brown rice if you're starving.

So. Stick the rice on. It's brown rice, it'll take about half an hour. You can do the rest in half an hour. Just chop fast.

Brown the turkey and bacon in your pan in some low fat cooking spray. Add the onion, celery and garlic, keeping the heat high but keeping an eye on it. While they are softening, finely chop your pepper and courgette and then sling them in, too. Keep an eye on it, you don't want it to burn. When everything is looking soft, and that won't take long if you've chopped it small, add the tomatoes and barbecue seasoning. The refried beans go in right at the end as they only need to heat through.

I recommend scooping it all into an enormous bowl, making a big glass of squash and eating it with a spoon while you slump on the sofa and watch Ace of Cakes. Ah Geof Manthorne, be still my heart, and thank God you will never see me devouring a huge bowl of turkey chili like I've been starved. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment