Wednesday 3 August 2011

Jamaican BBQ chicken with ginger and pineapple (and rice with beans)

I made this last week and it was DELICIOUS but it has been a very busy week and I forgot to post it.

For the chicken bit:

Chicken thighs (or breast, whichever you prefer), cut up
A big onion
Chilis (however many you like - I used two Scotch Bonnets)
A big tbsp ginger paste
A cup of chopped pineapple
Bell pepper - I used one red, one green
2 courgettes, diced
1 can tomatoes
Garlic - to your taste, I only put two fat cloves in this one, though
Jamaican BBQ seasoning - 2 tbsp (from Dunn's River)
Jerk seasoning - 1 good tsp (I also used Dunn's River)
Fine green beans, sliced into rounds

For the rice:

Cooked kidney beans (I used canned)
Rice
1 can of coconut milk (light)
200ml stock (I used chicken, from a cube)
Cinnamon and thyme to taste

So. Brown the chicken, and add the chili, ginger, garlic and onion. Put the lid on and let everything soften, and then add the pineapple and seasonings. Give it a few minutes, then add all the vegetables and tomatoes, heat up and then turn down to simmer.

In a separate pan, put all the ingredients for the rice and beans. Bring up to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and cover. It will take about 15 minutes (until all the liquid is absorbed) but keep an eye on things!

No comments:

Post a Comment